Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Server blocks access of IP after nmap scan

From: Michael Sturtz <Michael.Sturtz () PACCAR com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:41:27 -0700

Many firewalls and hosts do this based on heuristics i.e. if you do a progressive port scan then the IPS system (host
based or firewall based) detection determines that it is unusual or attack like behavior or if you attempt to open too
many connections on too many ports at a time or you send too many TCP SYN packets etc.  These types of behavior is
associated with either malware or hacking activity.  The reaction is usually to block the IP address or addresses the
traffic is coming from.  Sometimes it is a permanent block until an admin clears the block or other times it is a
temporary block for a specific length of time.  As to IP Spoofing an IP address while the source IP can be spoofed it
kind of breaks IP because in order for a TCP/IP conversation to occur you need a source IP a destination IP and a
source port and destination port.  If you lie about your source IP (in the IP header) then the return packets would
never get to you.  The only way to circumvent this is to either use multiple zombie machines or proxy servers.  However
even then some of intrusion detection systems can detect this and block the IP addresses.
Michael