Security Basics mailing list archives

THC Hydra and HTTP brute-force cracking

From: Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:47:53 +0300

I set up an ASUS WL-500gP with original ASUS firmware to my LAN with
IP address 192.168.1.1. If I navigate to address
http://192.168.1.1:8080/ in my Firefox address bar, an "Authentication
required" window opens up asking for "User name: " and "Password: ".
Correct "User name: " is "admin" and correct "Password: " is
"pA55w0Rd". They work fine if I type them in manually to the
"Authentication required" window, but for some reason I can't get in
using the hydra with words.txt password file, which contains
"pA55w0Rd":

[root@ ~]# cat words.txt
password
user
pA55w0Rd
Admin
Administrator
[root@ ~]# hydra -s 8080 -l admin -v -P words.txt -e ns -f 192.168.1.1
http-head /
[VERBOSE] More tasks defined than login/pass pairs exist. Tasks reduced to 7.
Hydra v6.1 (c) 2011 by van Hauser / THC - use allowed only for legal purposes.
Hydra (http://www.thc.org) starting at 2011-03-29 13:12:11
[DATA] 7 tasks, 1 servers, 7 login tries (l:1/p:7), ~1 tries per task
[DATA] attacking service http-head on port 8080
[VERBOSE] Resolving addresses ... done
[STATUS] attack finished for 192.168.1.1 (waiting for children to finish)
C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46YWRtaW4=

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46cGFzc3dvcmQ=

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46dXNlcg==

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46cEE1NXcwUmQ=

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46QWRtaW4=

C1:HEAD / HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.1.1
Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46QWRtaW5pc3RyYXRvcg==

Hydra (http://www.thc.org) finished at 2011-03-29 13:12:12
[root@ ~]#

What might cause this? If any additional information is needed, please ask!

regards,
Martin

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1