Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any PCI Gurus?

From: Matthew Reed <mreed () consolidatedgraphics com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:45:49 -0600

Regarding segmentation, my understanding from reading DSS is that VLANS are not acceptable segmentation. This passage
was taken from page 10 of DSS 2.0 which was released in October of last year. The document can be found at:
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/documents.php

The passage I am referring to is:

"The PCI DSS security requirements apply to all system components. In the context of PCI DSS, "system components" are
defined as any network component, server, or application that is included in or connected to the cardholder data
environment. "System components" also include any virtualization components such as virtual machines, virtual
switches/routers, virtual appliances, virtual applications/desktops, and hypervisors."

The words "included in or connected to the cardholder data" would include a logical network residing on or connected to
the physical server that houses the data. For our interpretation of the standard, we replace "segmentation,
segmentation, segmentation" with "air gap, air gap, air gap".

Matthew Reed, GSEC, CHPSE