Security Basics mailing list archives

Any PCI Gurus?

From: Shankl Shankl <shankl () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:38:26 +0000

Heres a little scenario that I wanted to throw out there and get an opinion on by someone who knows PCI. I am starting

to learn but couldn't help with this problem because I've never assisted in a PCI audit...

(I would think this problem has been encountered by many companies that make network appliances)

====== Background =======

1) Company A is a small company (only 5 employees)

2) They provide a service which requires their customer, Company B, to install a small network appliance on their LAN

in order to collect data from their onsite mechanical equipment.

3) Operating data is then pulled from these mechanical systems and then dumped to a remote server which processes the

data and provides a dashboard for the customer to view (via SSL).

4) Company B bought a license for this service and was also handed over the keys to administer accounts and decide

which employees it would like to give access to.

5) Now let’s say that Company B typically processes credit card payments locally and sends transaction data through

their local LAN on its way out to their payment processor.

====== Problems =======

1) Company A does not take credit cards and is not required to be PCI compliant however they do provide a service which

requires their network appliance to be installed on Company B’s network.

2) In recent days Company A has come to the conclusion that in some of Company B’s newly acquired satellite offices,

credit card data is being forwarded across the LAN in a variety of ways (some of which do not look to be

secure/encrypted).

3) In addition, several of these satellite offices are running consumer grade routers (ie: Linksys, Netgear) providing

little in the way of segmentation.

4)Company A would like to avoid being “In Scope” and having to charge the client for consulting fees.

====== Questions =======

1) For the smaller satellite offices what might be a simple fix?

2) Does segregation provide an easy way to kick devices out of scope for PCI audits?

3) Would it be recommended/possible to have a firm produce a report which could be handed to an auditor and prove “Out

of Scope” prior to being dragged into one of these audits?

4) Could the network appliance be designed/situated in such a way as to be “out of scope” or at least easily verifiable

as compliant even if it was sitting on the same logical subnet where the card data traffic was moving across?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1