Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Classifying pcap data

From: Brandon McGinty <brandon.mcginty () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:28:42 -0500

For python, there's the pylibpcap library,
pylibpcap.sourceforge.net
It would be easy enough to use that and open a live stream or pap file,
and import that into a sqlite database.
Be glad to help further if you wish.

Brandon McGinty

On 2/3/2011 12:49 PM, Andy Peters wrote:
Howard,

Something I have done before is to write a php script that runs tshark
over all the pcap files in a directory and then puts the results into a
MySQL database (built on a LAMP system).

You can get TShark to just look at the protocols and generate stats and
a protocol heirarchy, instead of looking at all the packet contents and
you can get php to capture the output and database it with only a few
lines of code.

Once the information is in a database it's easy to use SQL queries and a
php based website to display stats and allow searching of the information.

Of course you don't have to use php and mysql but I have used them
before and the concept works. I'm sure it is just as easy to use
perl/python/ruby or some other scripting language to script the Tshark
commands and parse the output. Equally any number of databases could be
used based on your development environment and there are a number of
options for displaying the output from a web front end (php/asp/cgi) to
any good scripting language.

Hope this helps

Andy

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Howard