Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Host Based Vulnerability Scanner

From: steveo1620 () gmail com
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:21:22 -0600

Tripwire Enterprise has that functionality too.

On Dec 19, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com> wrote:

Thugzclub Thugzclub <thugzclub () googlemail com> writes:
Hi guys,

I am looking for a host based vulnerability scanning application.

I Nessus and other tools scan can network facing application and tell
you whether they are vulnerable or not but I am looking for a host
based solution similar to Secunia PSI

Secunia sells CSI which does exactly what you'd expect based on your
PSI experience, but is aimed at corporate environments.

However, I think you'd be happier doing credentialed scanning without
the pain of a host based agent to maintain and have consuming memory
and resources on every single machine and virtual image in your
environment.

I looked pretty hard at this space a year ago and installed BigFix,
LanDesk, Rapid7 Nexpose and Tenable Security Center.  Secunia CSI we
looked at but as they lacked a remediation workflow, and didn't
support unix, we ruled them out.  The host based approaches are about
2x as expensive for the same IP count and have the agent footprint to
maintain.  They also tend to come from companies that don't track
vulnerabilities (e.g Bigfix, Landesk) nearly as well as security
companies (Tenable, Rapid7, Secunia) do.  Secunia is really the only
serious player to track that many applications in a host based agent,
as they have a wonderful dataset to play with courtesy of willing PSI
users.  You'll find the app support to be relatively narrow in the
other host based players.  Be sure to ask for a supported app list
when shopping for these!

On the remote vuln scanner side, though, plugin accuracy and
application support breadth for client-side apps is really excellent
with Nessus from Tenable.  If you need enterprise goodies like
dashboards, trending, metrics, support for multiple users to separate
scan and credential handling duties from those who need a read only
view in order to do remediation, then Tenable Security Center will be
possibly interesting to you.  If all you need to know is what hosts
are vulnerable NOW and your environment is small enough to not need
trending scheduling and multiple user support, you might be able to
get away with a Nessus pro feed license which is ~$1500/year if memory
serves.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1