Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Capturing network traffic and warning if its volume crosses a defined limit

From: charlie () funkymunkey com
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 14:11:13 +0000

Nagios and SNMP?

Quoting Pranav Lal <pranav.lal () gmail com>:

Hi all,

A friend has been running his own Exchange 2003 enterprise server since
ages. Last week, his IP address got black listed since a lot of traffic
originated from his e-mail server. The ISP has blocked outbound port 25. He
has checked with Microsoft support and with TrendMicro and is talking to his
ISP too.  He wants something to monitor network traffic with and log
traffic. I have discussed some solutions with him. What do you think?
1. For bandwidth monitoring, the only tool I know of is MRTG. There are
bound to be more but they monitor and not raise alerts.

2. Yes I did suggest a firewall appliance which will solve this problem.

3. However, he is also looking for an immediate fix. This is where my
current solution comes in. Before I go into the solution, let me explain his
network layout.

(1) The ISP's modem router's Ethernet cable is plugged into a switch. I
suspect this switch is unmanaged and does not support mirroring.
(2). The Exchange server is plugged into the switch.
(3) I suspect the same holds true for other computers that is they are
plugged into the same switch.

Now for the solution
A. He takes a computer with two LAN cards. Let us call them LC1 and LC2.
B. His ISP router goes into LC1.
C. The switch goes into LC2.
D. Snort with MySQL runs on this computer and logs traffic.

My questions:
1. Is there a better solution?
2. Does he need to bridge the connections corresponding to lc1 and lc2? If
he does not do so, I do not see how he will get out to the Internet.
3. Can I use snort or some other application to block all network traffic if
it exceeds a certain amount?

Pranav

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1