Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive eraser recommendation

From: ron () gmail com
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:11:31 -0600

Here are some more links to other software, one hardware solution and a couple of articles digging into the topic of HD
wipe and data recovery.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=129 - How to Really erase a hard drive.  This blog from 2007 also mentions the ATA
drive "Secure Erase" built in command.  There is more info in the comments.

http://www.ics-iq.com/index.cfm/action/product.show/id_product/433e6b6c-3247-49ed-b6f9-16f356acc67a/id_category/24e3fd9e-e45d-489e-a15b-6fcd2f807f0d?CFID=12079844&CFTOKEN=69370159
 - this is a $2500 hardware solution, handles 9 drives at a time (sorry no personal experience with it)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd334519.aspx - info about SDelete, Secure Delete, a Sysinternals program
created before they sold out to MS

http://eraser.heidi.ie/ - Eraser Eraser is an advanced security tool for Windows which allows you to completely remove
sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Works with
Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008.

Eraser is Free software and its source code is released under GNU General Public License.

http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-gutmann.html  - an Intelligence Agencies Read Overwritten Data?  (this
was written in 2003)

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html - Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State
Memory  Peter Gutmann, 1996

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Data-Wiping-Myth-Put-to-Rest-102376.shtml (January 2009) summaryizes studies

Overwriting Hard Drive Data By Dr. Craig Wright January 2009.  This story was linked to in another post, but it is no
longer available. The Dr. posted the article for a while back in January.  I have a copy.  He documents results of a
fairly intense investigation of older and new drives. Not to steal his thunder, here are a couple of snips from the
conclusions:
<snip>
Although there is a good chance of recovery for any individual bit from a drive, the chances of recovery of any amount
of data from a drive using an electron microscope are negligible. Even speculating on the possible recovery of an old
drive, there is no likelihood that any data would be recoverable from the drive.
</snip>

And for a little contrast, a study on recovering data, ie after a "disaster not after wipe.  Bottom line, not easy and
getting more difficult as data density increases

http://www.actionfront.com/whitepaper/Drive%20Independent%20Data%20Recovery%20TMRC2005%20Preprint.pdf -
Drive-Independent Data Recovery: The Current State-of-the-Art (2005)

HTH
Ron

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1