Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Gateway OS

From: Dan Pilcheck <pilcheck () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:46:16 -0500

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Stephen Cox <stephencoxmail () gmail com> wrote:
List,

What are your opinions about using ClearOS/Endian UTM instead of a
CentOS/RHEL install with addition configuration? (Keep in mind that
the Gateway needs to route traffic from 2 asdl routers, filter content
and manage bandwidth)

Looking out to hear from you,
--
Stephen Cox

Stephan,

I've had great success with Untangle (I utilize the Community version
(http://www.untangle.com/)).
It's based on Debian, but it sounds like it can handle everything
you're looking for.
I have Untangle deployed on 3 sites ranging from 8-100+ boxen, and it
has handled all requests flawlessly for over a year now.

While I can not comment on the quality of Endian, or ClearOS, Untangle
is great for what I need.
The community is friendly and active, as well. I'd suggest a look.

(And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but it's really
eased the management of my clients and lusers)

--
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1