Security Basics mailing list archives

Reporting malicious people?

From: ichib0d crane <themadichib0d () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 06:16:29 -0700

I was curious as to what would be the most effective way to report
malicious activity from remote attackers. Who I should contact and
what not. I've tried contacting the ISP of the originating IP but that
seems to rarely work, or even elicit a response most of time.

Heres a kicker to, it's quite often that after investigating malicious
activity that I find a lot more personal detail's that skiddies and
phishers would prefer I didn't have. Who would I give this info to,
and how to contact them?

For example, I browsed my spam folder recently and found a simple
nigerian scam. I pulled the simple 'hackers dont fall for this' ploy
(and no, I really don't care if the label applies or not, its just
useful if they think so) and I have the guy immediately eating out of
my hands, thinking im ACTUALLY going to be a business partner. I lied
my way out of handing out contact info and instead elicited HIS
contact information. I've got a number,(possible) name, his home
country, IP + ISP. If I scrounge up change for a pay phone I can
probably get even more concrete details. But I have no clue what to
actually DO with any of this information, and I rather NOT just leave
this guy alone on his merry scamming ways :)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gage Bystrom

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1