Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hidden processes in windows

From: lukasz () piatek pl
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:23:13 -0600

hi mate. dkom is the method you have been looking for. Unlinking some structures by using built in system calls
(windows api has a few of them) may hide processes in Task Manager. I used to do it on Windows 2000 and up but did not
try on latest Vista sp2. You may be interested in microsoft research library -- Detours.. Look after it.

Google has returned this:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:z7YBr4F0cyAJ:www.terena.org/activities/tf-csirt/meeting27/oesterberg-rootkits.pdf+doubly+linked+list&hl=es&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShi0qlfkpEa79kiBc3MTplQJ_Ah_4xN0PiHHUlpXa-6EeahY5-j8UW4fRSx5yBaLzhCZ6QCHBv_KfLkB8waUlRc1c7yS7MewoPS-WUzS_1FA_Tk5fpP95S32Whe4dJ71OfrhRB4&sig=AHIEtbQ9SeZUFKOQ2FJEixcFmCa65sPq5g

It may be worth looking. Many rootkits use this method to hide themselves.

Regards,
Lukasz Piatek

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1