Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home wireless free hotspot

From: "Johnathan" <martinez85 () att blackberry net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:29:53 +0000

Doug,

In a way, security professionals are very much similar to lawyers if you really think about it. I have to give advice
such as I have, and many others too, on issues such as these. When legal issues arise, it is our duty to educate the
person on "what could happen" and legal consequences on something that may seem like a good idea at the time.

If I were you I would be careful of how you word advise to others. Instead of advising someone to re-word the same
question in an obfuscated way, you could have suggested that it would have been better to state at the  end of their
question that "I totally and fully accept the risk of what I just asked" so that you are not bombarded by some snippy
internet security lawyer like guy such as me.

Someone should create a security focus risk acceptance form that can be digitally signed so when a question that is
legally and/or ethically questionable arises, everyone will be on the same page.

Cheers! =)

Johnathan, Internet Security ADA (Assistant Domain Attorney)

----
Johnathan

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T