Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home wireless free hotspot

From: ron () hotmail com
Date: 16 Mar 2010 18:32:27 -0000

Although your intent is "noble", I think you are asking for a whole lot of trouble.  Sure your "intended audience", the
neighbors MAY take advantage of it.  But, how many typical home users are they technically savy enough to figure it
out?  More likely you will be found by a wardriver/hacker and shared with others for less than legal purposes.

Then when it is discovered you are going to have to explain why it was left open.  You will be stuck with the fact that
you intended for other, unknown, people to freely use it.  So even though you didn't do any of the actions some of the
mud may still stick to you.

If you want to share with neighbors, you are better off setting up a secured connection you can share with limited
audience for their "emergency" use.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1