Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Outlook External POP/SMTP

From: Phillip Bailey <pbailey () cryptolife org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:12:17 +0100

Hi,

 first you must completely close the firewall and then allow pop3/s -
imap/s - smtp to and from your mail server. This solution won't fix
completely the problem because there's also the webmail that can be
accessed on port 80 and 443, for this issue I can advise to use a good
proxy server with some blacklisting.

Best regards ,

Phillip

Hart, Lee Anne wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for information on preventing/prohibiting users from utilizing
Outlook (at work) to retrieve their personal email from Gmail, AOL, Yahoo,
Comcast, Verizon, etc.

Looking for the following:

* Reasons why users should not be allowed to use Outlook on their work
computers to retrieve their personal email.

* Tools/techniques to block this type of traffic. It seems the most common
ports are 110, 465, 587, 993, and 995. Are there others?

Any reference are much appreciated.

Thank you!
Lee Anne

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1