Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Outlook External POP/SMTP

From: "gig" <gigabit () satx rr com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:09:59 -0500

Lee Anne,

I agree with your position of restricting client side apps from getting email directly. Outlook and Outlook Express are notorious for security vulnerabilities and the need for constant patching. It might have been fixed, but both apps had a major problem as the preview pane allowed auto-execution of scripts and executables.

If your company is willing, they can still allow access to outside email via webmail mail portals. You will still have risks of viruses, malware and data leakage but my opinion is that the risk is reduced as it makes it a bit more inconvenient for people to do dumb things.

As far as implementation, assuming you have a corporate email server, you can surely craft ACLs based on ports to only allow access externally to that corp email server.

hope that helps.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hart, Lee Anne" <LeeAnne.Hart () montgomerycollege edu>