Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: securing a segment of a network

From: "Adam Pal" <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:07:41 +0100

Hi Roger,

First point: what you described bellow is nice, but it is one special scenario.
What is the most likely threat you want to mitigate?
Try to keep in mind, that mitigating exitic threats can lead you to higher costs and that is what you wanted to avoid
acording to your first email.
Also another question you can take in consideration: what would be your acceptable risks?

If the requirement is:
"Keep the same, maintain the accounting PCs unreachable from the other
PCs in the network."
then i read it as unreachable from the other PCs.
A rule (ACL) can be applied on the respective PC which will deny all connections requests to it (inbound).
That way you wont need to maintain 2 different domain controler while the requirement specifies PCs and not Servers.

That way you can build your argumentation, if it doesnt help then you have no other choice than maintain 2 different
networks or give up the business (as mentioned in the list)

Cheers,
Adam Pal

-------- Original-Nachricht --------