Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: securing a segment of a network

From: Bovril1a () netscape securityfocus com, net () www3 securityfocus com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:14:32 -0700

Unless you are in a high security environment the requirement from your  auditors is an excellent example of why
auditors do not and never ever should run systems.......

Based on the caveat above, the issue has probably nothing to do with network segregation or segmentation and everything
to do with effective permissionings.

First we strip the perceived issue

Before you EVER accept an audit finding it needs to meet a basic "Rule of 4"

The finding has to be TRUTHFUL, it is a real thing, not supposition, belief or prejudice from a checklist

The finding has to be VERIFIABLE, it has be capable of demonstration, measurable, a log, a process a real thing.

The finding has to be REPRODUCIBLE, it has to be capable of being show, it is an actual ongoing issue. "On Tuesday we
saw a server lose it's network connection" is NOT a finding it's operational support. "Every Friday at 8:00pm
connection to the satellite office drops" IS a finding

Lastly, the finding has to ADD VALUE. That add value may be to address an internal or external policy or regulatory
requirement, if not remediated, private data can be compromised, the financial exposure is XXXXXXX USD/GBP.

Without all 4 rules in place this is not a finding, it is suppostion and a wishlist.

I bet dollars to donuts that wasn't applied when this finding came up.

Now to the issue itself.

I am willing to believe the issue was actually about potential inappropriate access to system resources such as
applicatiions, shares and/or privileges. Splitting the network does not address this in any way, at best it camouflages
the actual risk.

The only other time the issue MAY have some credibility is for example, if you are directly managing equipment in the
dirty side of a DMZ directly from your internal network....

Return to the ACTUAL risk, what it consists of and what logical controls need to be implemnetd to cover the risk as
well as be practically supported.

At the moment you are one audit away from being hauled over the coals for implementing a "solution" that actually
increases the organizations operational risk.......

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1