Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password alternatives

From: Yousef Syed <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:39:31 +0100

Hi Wali,
I'd start by sharing this article with your password challenged
managers: http://lifehacker.com/5505400/how-id-hack-your-weak-passwords

On the next level, I'd institute an I&AM system that permits delegated
administration. That way, the PAs and secretaries can be granted
access to the managers systems, but they'll be using their own logins.
1. No passwords need to be shared.
2. Complete Audit trail of WHO was actually using the system at the time.

I'm sure that there are various legal ramifications to sharing
passwords and accessing systems without the account owner's
knowledge...

If they are still selecting useless passwords, then, give them RSA keys.

Regards,
ys
--
Yousef Syed