Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Skype / Vsee

From: W W <crackd () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:17:19 -0400

Can you provide a reason as to why you chose not to use Skype on your
network?  Reading some of the other posts to my question I see some
adversity because there is  potential for an individual to use the
chat program to "leak" sensitive information.  However, the other
argument to that would be users can use any number of other methods to
accomplish the same thing.  I could use gmail, yahoo mail, etc.  Or I
could setup my own web based email system at home to connect to.  Then
you have USB devices to contend with.  So unless you have secured
everyone of those avenues blocking out Skype or other IM client seems
almost like a waste of time.

I guess what I'm looking for are there any good practices for setting
up Skype or Vsee that doesn't expose the system itself to compromise?
Some of the Skype documentation is dated.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.