Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Skype / Vsee

From: "M.D.Mufambisi" <mufambisi () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:13:13 +0200

The risk around such applications really is the easy leakage of
corporate information. Chat applicatios present a great risk around
this. Corporate documents can be easily transmitted out the network.
Another issue is that individuals do not normally know where to draw
the line between occasional "chatting" and wasting company time.
Viruses and malware could also be transmitted this way. Chat traffic
is encrypted and as such, these baddies can make it well past your
firewall. There are lots of considerations around this. I suggest you
frist establish a business case for the use of chat within the
organisation.....otherwise do not allow it. Once a business case is
established....find out how you can effectively mitigate against the
above mentioned risks.