Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux rootkit question

From: Pierre Jaury <pierre () jaury eu>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 01:25:42 +0100

Hello,
You may rootkit your system inside a vm if you really are curious. Using
recent code, results are surprising and checkers quite inefficient.
Chkroot doesn't actually detects the rootkit itself but his fingerprint
on your system (pid, files in /proc for simplest rootkits). It also
detects inconsistancies in your system stats that may discole some
hidden process/sockets.

Looots of details on http://www.rootkitanalytics.com/

Pierre.