Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Development team building

From: Yousef Syed <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:13:47 +0000

Hi Cris,
1. You need requirements that stipulate the Security and Quality
aspects of the project; or a team wide policy statement for all
development that stipulates the Security needs.
2. Involve Penetration Testers to cover your security issues.
3. Employ a "Test-First"/"Test-Driven" approach. Test cases need to be
broadened to include security concerns such as XSS or HTML/SQL
injections or Buffer Overflows etc.
4. Unit tests should cover valid, invalid, nulls, boundary conditions
and XSS/SQL injections.

To cover your issue with deliberate bad design/code, then that would
be covered by:
1. Design/Coding standards
2. Regular Design/Code Review sessions (weekly).
3. A robust and patterns based architecture that means that it is
clear both where and how data can be accessed/modified. A rogue
designer would be forced to write their nefarious code in the
presentation, business and data access layers; not to mention the
database stored procedures... Or it would be an ugly bit of code in
only one layer - either way, if your code reviews don't catch it, then
your problems are with an incompetent team lead...

Other things like regular build testing, good automated build scripts
(ant + cruise control), Source control systems etc should also be in
place.

ys

--
Yousef Syed