Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint smart defance as IPS

From: Shreyas Zare <shreyas () secfence com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:18:34 +0530

Hi Craig,

I think you should read some basics from wikipedia [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security#How_it_works ]

In short, you can *only* MITM SSL/TLS for a website if you have the
private key of the certificate installed on the website OR if you are
a certification authority (CA) trusted by the victim and make a fake
certificate on the fly at your proxy/gateway for the website
requested.

If it was possible as you claimed, the protocol will be totally broken
and it will be front page news article.

Regards,

Shreyas Zare

Sr. Information Security Researcher
Secfence Technologies
www.secfence.com

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Craig S. Wright