Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure sharepoint 2010 design

From: Martin Petersen <mpetersen () samspade de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:51:33 +0200

Am 30.07.2010 06:14, schrieb Francois Yang:
I was suggesting to put the whole environment behind a firewall and
only allow ports 443 since that's what will be used by the internal
users to access it.
no need for the whole company to have access to all the backend web
servers and database servers.
of course admins of those servers would be allowed access to their
servers on the necessary ports.

I strongly believe that this is best practice. No application servers directly in Desktop-user-LAN. I could go some way with virtualization in a small (>50 Users total) enviroment. But putting a win32-machine in a app-server role with other win32-clients used by Desktop/Web-users in one physical LAN (network segment) is heading for desaster. In a case with no budget, just use an old but decent desktop and run a GNU/Linux firewall-distro on it.

Hope that helps.

Martin

thanks.

Frank

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1