Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: .LNK vulnerbility

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:34:35 -0500

"Eggleston, Mark" <meggleston () HEALTHPART COM> writes:

Also MS states XP SP3 impacted (but does NOT mention SP2?) However,
bugtraq mentions SP2... Can anyone confirm if XP SP2 is impacted?

Hi Mark,

This was the article where I found out about those impacts:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179299/Microsoft_confirms_nasty_Windows_zero_day_bug

"The bug admission is the first that affects Windows XP Service Pack 2
(SP2) since Microsoft retired the edition from support, researchers
said. When Microsoft does fix the flaw, it will not be providing a
patch for machines still running XP SP2."

Windows 2000 is in the same boat, by the way, having left extended
support on the 13th of this month:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=6794

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1