Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitoring Software

From: Alex <alex.tsr () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:35:25 +0200

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Eric Ong <eric.ccong () gmail com> wrote:

I am currently looking for the network monitoring software for a
mid-size company, which around 300 PCs and 40 Servers. Some
salesperson recommended me to purchase the PacketTrap from QUEST
SOFTWARE or SPLUNK.

Do you have any positive experience with these two softwares? Any
experience to share?

Well it depends on what exactly you want to monitor. Network services,
host availability etc?

If yes then I would recommend Nagios - http://www.nagios.org/ - or
OpenNMS - http://www.opennms.org/ . There are also several front-ends
for Nagios either open-source or commercial (or both) from which I
would recommend Centreon - http://www.centreon.com/ - which is
open-source and has some commercial add-ons, mostly about reporting
and SLAs, and OP5 - http://www.op5.com/ - which is a great commercial
product (but they give you a fully functional trial that you can
test).

If you are interested in monitoring logs, especially if you have tons
of them, then I'd say Splunk is the right tool, although it's a bit
expensive. Once you learn how it works (and it wont take you long)
then you can mine almost any information from your logs. AFAIK there
is a free edition that will log up to 500MB per day so you can give it
a shot.

I haven't tried PacketTrap so I have no opinion about it.

--
Cheers, Alex.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1