Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [OT ish] Router vs Firewall - corporate environment

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () googlemail com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:30:11 +0000

Martin,

If you have a Cisco router that is one of the newer ISR-type then you
can add the firewall feature set to get all the same rules as a
stateful firewall. Depending on the volume of traffic, for internal
use It may be enough.

If you have a large network and use Cisco 6500 series switches you can
plug in a Firewall Services Module and it will do firewalling as fast
as any Cisco dedicated device. As all the routing will be done in the
switch (including from your LANs to your Internet router) this is a
very good place to put it.

Personally I would use separate devices for firewalling Internet
access and internal networks. Use a dedicated firewall device to the
Internet and DMZs and depending on the size of the network and ISR for
internal networks, unless they are very large.