Security Basics mailing list archives

[OT ish] Router vs Firewall - corporate environment

From: martin <martiniscool () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:38:14 +0000

Hi all

We're in the process of planning to split up our corporate network -
ie, a subnet for servers, one for users, one for admins etc etc.
Although we have over 200 users, our internet connection is not at
this office, it goes over a WAN to another office and then via a proxy
(which is duly firewalled etc).  We have a cisco router at our site
which handles the WAN traffic etc.

Now a debate has started over whether we should use the router to
split up our network, or whether we should go to the extra expense of
buying a firewall to do this.  As I understand it, if I send a request
from subnet 1 to subnet 2 on port 80, the source port (is over 1024)
would have to be open for the reply to come back from subnet 2 to
subnet 1.  However, as firewalls are stateful, they do not require
this - I would just need to open port 80 to subnet 2.

Apart from the greater logging capabilities, this is the only reason I
can come up with to use a firewall.  Does anybody have any additional
suggestions as to why we should use a firewall ?  Or likewise, why a
firewall might not be necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1