Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Remote Desktop - any known vulnerabilities?

From: Ronald van der Westen <rvdwesten () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:30:45 +0100

Hi Chuck

I wouldnt recommend running rdp straight om the internet.

Especially for the "less secure" clients. It is possible that à man in the middle attack gathers sensitive data, like
passwords, whenever you type in your session.

Try one of the free services on the internet, like logmein.com. They are not the best option but might be better than
rdp.

They are available using ssl-tunneling so in most cases available everywhere you want.

Regards,
Ronald van der Westen

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 28 nov. 2010 om 03:21 heeft Chuck Mayers <chuck.mayers () gmail com> het volgende geschreven:

About 6 months ago, I wanted to connect to my home computer (which
runs Windows 7) from work, so I enabled Remote Desktop, with the
option "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote
Desktop (less secure)". It was a one time thing, and I've never used
it since. I left these options on.

Today I noticed an event in the event log:

The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol
stream and has disconnected the client.

This same error also appears one other time, 2 months ago.

I've googled the message, it sounds like it could simply be an error
you'd get if a remote user closed his session... except that there
shouldn't be any remote users! At the time of the event, I'm not even
sure if I was using the computer, but I know that I have not used RDP
for 6 months and no one else should be connecting.

Are there any known Remote Desktop vulnerabilities (for a PC acting as
the server) that I should be worried about?

Is there any other way this event would be in the event log, besides
the obvious - someone had connected to my PC?

I looked in the event log for anything obviously strange around the
times of these events, and I don't see anything. The PC seems fine and
I don't have any reason to think it was compromised except for this
strange event message.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I can check for, to figure out
what this cryptic message means.

Thanks

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1