Security Basics mailing list archives

security advice

From: Edmund <edmund () belfordhk com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:17:13 +0800

Hi,

Just yesterday, I found out that my company's e-mail server had been
compromised.  This fact, for some reasons, didn't seem to be a 'big
deal' to others.  I'm still stunned; but, considering how lax I had
become, it shouldn't be surprising.  *sigh*

[story mode]
Basically, the incident started out with an innocuous "there is
something wrong with sending e-mail" from a co-worker.  I looked
at the e-mail server and everything seemed to be ok, so I decided
to check the firewall.  That's when I noticed it was running
very sluggish.  "Uh oh."

I couldn't figure out which program was making it go slow.  I
thought it was the proxy, but it wasn't.  I rebooted the
firewall.  It was ok, up until a certain point and that's
when it slowed down.  I tcpdump'd one ethernet nic, and
noticed a huge amount of packets being sent to a remote
site from my e-mail server.  (Capital UH OH)

Checking out the |ps ax| I noticed a very suspicious
file "./s <ip#>".  Immediately I knew someone had
accessed the system.  I started to become a little
panicky.  I searched for the './s' file.  Then looking
up online, I found that I could go into the /proc
filesystem and find the pid and then the exe will
be shown.  Found the full path.  Looking at the
files within the folder "/var/tmp/.b", it was
confirmed.

I shouldn't have done what I did next.  I killed
the running program and deleted the folder.  :(
In hindsight, I should have killed the program
and zipped up the darn folder for analysis.
I'm still regretting that move.  *banging head
on table*

Cleaned up a few extra items and it seems normal.
I ran 'rkhunter' and filled out the necessary
warnings it found.

[story mode off]

I'm still very reprimanding myself for being
so careless. This is one lesson that I gotta
have imprinted in my thick skull.

Anyway, given this lesson,  can someone offer
any methodologies/programs that I can use to
protect the company system?   I'm now going
through the firewall rules to find out what
holes the intruder might have entered through.

Thanks.

Ed

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1