Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security advice

From: "Grant, Richard (KYTC)" <richard.grant () ky gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:40:35 -0400

Edmund I think you may need a different approach to Incident handling. We have experienced a couple compromised
servers. With over 3,000 servers physical and virtual we are too big of a target to miss forever. First the horse is
already out of the barn. Slamming the door shut will not change that.

This is a time for the Incident Handling Team to be called into action. This team would develop  a plan for dealing
with the incident. Some of the questions to be addressed include:

Who was the intruder?
When was the server compromised? How long have they had access to the machine?
How did they compromise the server?
What did they want?
Was any user data compromised?
Finally, how can future intrusions of this nature be prevented.

The firewall logs will not answer many of these questions. So it is a time for a forensic evaluation of the server.
Active memory needs to be imaged.
A list of active processes needs to be generated.
A forensic image of the servers drive systems needs to be generated of at least the OS drive.

Now it is time to pull the plug.
So can you just remove the known infected files and go back to work?
Did you remove all of the cancer?
Did the intruders rootkit the server? CAN it be trusted in its' current installation?
Conventional wisdom dictates that the server must be rebuilt. Can it be trusted after it has been violated?
The forensic analysis will help you determine the answers to many of these questions. A timeline analysis will help
determine what files were altered when the server was compromised. When all is said an done the Incident handling team
will get together for a lessons learned.
Good luck!

Richard G.