Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: store passwords securely in the internet

From: Patrick Cornelissen <cornelis () pcornelissen de>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 18:54:03 +0200

On Monday 12 April 2010 17:55:47 Adam Mooz wrote:
Because then the passwords are sent in the clear from the server to
the client.  If someone were to MITM they could get whatever password
you requested, or worse is they'd get all your passwords.  Too much
risk.

Arrgh, see below:

You should always transmit sensitive data encrypted or encapsulate it
in a secure tunnel like a VPN.