Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Who should the Information Systems Security Officer report to?

From: Dan Anderson <dan-anderson () cox net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:42:07 -0500

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Jens C. Laundrup <laundrup () verizon net> wrote:

I agree that there should be a dotted line to the Board, but I disagree with
the Chief Legal Officer/Counsel.  Typically, Compliance falls under the
Chief Legal officer which would create a conflict of interest, Audit falls
under the CFO which would also create a conflict of interest.  Thus, the CIO
is not a bad spot for the CISO/ISSO, or the CISO/ISSO should work for a
Chief Security Officer who would be a peer of the CIO, CFO and Chief Legal
Officer/Counsel.

I'm not sure we share a common definition of "conflict of interest".

A conflict of interest in this situation is when you have someone in
charge of a function that their interests may run counter to.

A classic example is when security works for the CIO.  The CIO's role
is often primarily motivated by IT strategy, implementation, cost and
timeliness of delivery which can run counter to the security needs of
a system/organization.  In my experience, CIO's often "manage to their
motivation" and brush aside security concerns as "something we will
come back to".

Compliance and audit more often have goals/interests that are well
aligned with security - not in conflict.

The CSO/CISO should be a peer to the CIO.  Barring that, IMO, Audit,
Ethics or legal are better options then the CIO.

Reporting directly to the board may be excessive unless the CIO
reports there.  The CEO should be able to manage their company and you
don't enable that by having everyone report directly to the board.

Dan

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1