Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive eraser recommendation

From: Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:12:50 +0300

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:52:58 -0400
Nick Duda <nduda () VistaPrint com> wrote:

I'm looking for a hard drive erasing solution (hardware) that meets
the DOD recommendation for erasing but is also fairly easy for the
helpdesk to just hook a drive up to, press a button and walk away
until it is complete. Does anyone have any recommendations for one
that is good and low cost?

- Nick

Easy way is to use DBAN <http://www.dban.org/>.

Good solutions for Linux cli are shred and wipe. For OpenBSD I would
use "rm -rfP".

---
Henri Salo

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1