Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrytped USB Key quick win solution‏

From: mojorising <moj0rising () aim com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:04:56 -0700

I've done a bit of checking around on this in the past couple of
months and I would say FreeOTFE is probably your best option for
Windows users, though I haven't used it myself. As a Linux user, I
started using LUKS (the technology behind FreeOTFE) to encrypt my USB
drive and it works great. You can even set aside a non-encrypted
partition if you wish.

Mac users can use LUKS too -- just like I do from my Linux machine.
When the same USB drive is inserted into a Windows machine, you can
use FreeOTFE (which would reside on the USB stick itself) to unlock
and access it. You probably already know FreeOTFE isn't exactly an
encryption application on it's own but rather a GUI front-end for
LUKS.

There are a few handy resources available on the web for setting all
this up, of course. A quick Google search such as
http://www.google.ca/search?q=luks+usb can get you started.

Good luck,
Mike