Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SIM Solutions testing environement. Eg. Netforensics

From: Nikhil Wagholikar <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:09:45 +0530

Hi Mohamed Aymen Sahli,

Here are the ideas you may like to give a try:

1. Enable logging on one to two test/sample systems such as Active
Directory, Email server, Database server etc and see whether your
NetForensics SIM is working fine and according to your expectations
and needs.

2. For testing attacks, you can prefer to run tools like NMap and
Nessus (with denial of service plug-in ON) on these test systems and
check whether your SIM can detect and report these attacks as
configured.

3. May be on a broader scale, you can think of conducting a small
scale penetration testing exercise too and check the effectiveness of
SIM.

4. Else, you can prefer to conduct a third party (operational) audit
of your SIM installation.

Hope this helps!!

---
Nikhil Wagholikar
Practice Lead | Security Assessments & Digital Forensics
Network Intelligence India Pvt. Ltd. [NII Consulting]
Web: http://www.niiconsulting.com/
Comprehensive Information Security Training
http://iisecurity.in/courses/Training%20Calendar.html