Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Physical Access Cards

From: "Paul Jenkins" <pjenkins () dsci com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:31:54 -0400

Ok I eluded to this earlier but I'm going to emphasize it this time, If
you have scan access only to your building and you have Photo-ID badges
this is as bad as printing the logo on the proximity/mag card, and
putting a welcome mat at the front door.

However if your org has Badge/pin (or other 2 factor) having the logo on
the card should pose no additional risk, (IMHO), since these
organizations usually have an ID card required to be worn, then print
the logo it should add no additional risk, since more information could
be gathered from the badge.

If you have badge only access that card should be kept with no
identifying information, business cards, ID-badges, etc. To me badge
only is unnecessary risk, unless sensitive areas behind the initial
access point are further protected.

Is it paranoia, maybe a little, just think of the information as a whole
not individual pieces. Walk down the hall and look at the average user
and what they have on that lanyard (keys, ID, Phone lists, god forbid
system passwords and pins).

All that withstanding if your not adding any additional information to
the lost "bundle" would the look of a logo on the access card make
management happy, I say go for it.

-Paul