Security Basics mailing list archives

Security Incident Handling / Organization

From: Tony Raboza <tonyraboza () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:32:18 +0800

Hi all,

Recently I posted regarding a possible "Zombie / Botnet" that I
discovered.  Anyway - my company does not have yet any IT security
group - that's why sometimes its quite hard to do incident
handling/analysis.  I am one of the Systems and Network Administrator
and IT security is a subset of our work.   We have lots of remote
offices and we have IT Helpdesk in most of them.

I'm proposing to our company that an IT security group be formed.  For example:

You have a workstation broadcasting abnormal high UDP traffic.  The IT
security group goes in and investigates.  They pull out workstation if
needed be.  IT Helpdesk issues a service unit so that user can
continue working.

Is this correct?  What do you think?  What is the recommended best practice?

Thanks.

Best,
Tony

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1