Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VMWare deployment

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:44:24 -0700

I'm no VMWare security expert, but when our internal server support
group proposed this, I did a bit of research, and found very few people
(outside of VMWare, Inc.) who advocated mixing security zones on a
single virtual host server, and a good sized pile who recommend against
it.

http://srmsblog.burtongroup.com/2008/01/five-immutable.html
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/VM-Security-Risks-Phantom-or-Menace/
http://spiresecurity.typepad.com/spire_security_viewpoint/2008/03/virtua
lization.html
http://securosis.com/2008/04/17/vmware-please-hire-the-hoff/
http://rationalsecurity.typepad.com/blog/2008/04/the-four-horsem.html>

My conclusion: "our existing practice is to segregate high risk networks
from high value ones with a real-life air gap. Switches that service DMZ
and internet networks, don't also trunk high value internal network
VLANS. There's no reason the same practice should not apply to our
virtual environment."

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer