Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Checklist

From: Joseph McCray <joe () learnsecurityonline com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 16:21:14 -0400

I would definitely say to think about setting up something like Splunk -
you can take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splunk for the
generic details.

Key things that admins should keep their eye on at least weekly.

1. Patch management (WSUS, PatchLink, Alteris, etc - especially for 3rd
party patch management)
2. Managed Anti-Virus (Symantec, EPO, etc)
3. Network Health Monitoring system (What's Up Gold, Big Brother, etc)
4. If 1-3 are in good shape - then your IDS/IPS solution.
5. Lastly if all of the things above are in good shape - your
centralized log collection facility (Splunk, or similar product)

I think it's really important that companies get 1-3 really under
control before they get knee deep in 4 and 5. You'll just be chasing
your tail trying to fix things that the first 3 should be taking care
of.

Joe