Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 07:31:07 -0400

If they want to spend all day browsing My Space so badly that they
will bring in a USB wireless device and hijack wireless from a nearby
office or VPN back to their home PC, I think they should be given a
great deal more free time to spend at home on My Space, and I don't
mean telecommuting.  It's definitely an HR issue at that point.  I
know a guy that plays World of Warcraft from his office using his
personally owned laptop with a Sprint wireless card.  He sets the
laptop out of sight in a desk drawer and hooks it up to one of the
displays on his desk.  He has a KVM on the floor he can hit with his
foot to switch over to a screen with a network diagram set as the
background to look like it is an open program he's working on should
he hear someone coming down the hall towards his desk.  At some point,
you just have to send these people home to momma.

Steve