Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DHCP

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:51:34 -0700

  Reservations should be supported by any decent DHCP server.
They'll let you give known AC addresses known IP addresses,
and assign any others from a pool.

  But that just means that an intruder, to get a "good" IP
address, just has to spoof a good MAC address.  That's not
much security; DHCP really isn't intended as a security measure.

  A better approach, designed for your purpose, would be to
implement 802.1X.  You might need fancier network equipment to
do that than you have currently.

David Gillett