Security Basics mailing list archives

DHCP

From: "Doug McFarland" <djm () yantarni com gt>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 08:38:34 -0600

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to block any PC that plugs into my network that is
not authorized to access any network resources-servers, firewalls, etc. Is
there a way in DHCP that I can add reservations just for the PCs that I want
to allow the network resources and any other pc/laptop that happens to be
plugged into the network either doesn't get an IP address, gets a dummy IP
address, or something else? I've heard Windows Server 2008 can do this, but
I'm not sure about 2003. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

djm