Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NAC Question

From: Noah.Lance () APCc com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:25:16 -0500

This would be a user policy issue. A NAC is always a good idea, but if you
don't have the money or power to implement it you'd be better off a policy
based solution.

Information Assurance user level training could fix a good portion of this
problem. User training is key to these situations I watch large companies
leave this out and then have 100's of experienced IT personnel running
around with their web found solutions, which is great and all. However, if
the company just put some emphasis on user training/awareness, usage
policies, through an Information Management program they would never be a
this point.

Currently if you are looking at warding off malware then you are best off
implementing a computer based local policy. If they are windows boxes
(assuming so, since nix boxes would be a big worry) use GPO/computer
Security templates. Harden the box via these policies and enforce the
firewalls are turned on, use the IEAK to configure it have the pop up
blocker turned on, utilize the connection levels IE already provide.....
your getting the point I'm sure. Sure local admins could change this but
few people, heh, few IT personnel know hot to work through such a
configuration.

Another more "enterprise" level solution would be to utilize SMS and
Symantec MMC to hunt out any "aged" configurations, once they send an
alert have the IS guys or even Service Desk disable the computer accounts
via Active Directory. You could actually even do this via logon script,
and have it cached for local runs.

If you really want the full NAC, there's a few universities I've read
about implementing a combo type system. If any user plugs their computer
into the network, the computer submits to a scan and if they are not up to
date per AV/VA then they are only allowed to go to the common minimal
sites to get the updates. Nothing else.

Realistically, for a production environment you are best off with getting
a strong Vulnerability Assurance/Management program in place first.
Establish written policies and then aid with user awareness and education.

avghacker () gmail com
Sent by: listbounce () securityfocus com
03/24/2009 11:49 AM
Please respond to
avghacker () gmail com

security-basics () securityfocus com
cc

Subject
Re: NAC Question

Well we have the downadup worm floating around our network and are slowly
trying to deal with it.  Our environment has a lot of users who are local
admins so they basically are allowed to download anything here and at
home.  I wanted a way to keep them off the network unless they have
patches and an AV solution.  Many users only pull out their laptops every
couple of weeks so obviously the update server isn't reaching them.

Side note: already have and ids in place