Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port question

From: Patrick J Kobly <patrick () kobly com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:33:47 -0600

The protocol that is typically listening on 113 is identd.  It is
defined in RFC1413

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1413

It allows a particular node to assert the local username of the user
that owns a particular connection.  While this may have been moderately
useful some time ago, it is of dubious (or no) value now.

I haven't seen POP servers use ident in a while, but regularly see IRC
servers do so - and in that case the problem is exactly as David describes.

PK

David Gillett wrote:
  Closing port 113 is a good trade-off between security and
performance.

  For historical reasons, generally when a client connects to
an email server via POP to download their email, the server
attempts to connect back to them on port 113.  I believe this
service was intended for the case where the user is one of
several sharing a multi-user machine, but I'm not certain about
that.
  The thing is that >98% of modern client machines will ignore
this connection attempt.  The email server will wait for anywhere
between 30 seconds and 5 minutes for an answer, and then will
continue the download session and deliver the requested email.

  ShieldsUp is complaining because it got an RST ("reset") packet
back from that port; the firewall, instead of silently dropping
the SYN packet for that port, has explicitly rejected the
connection.  The bad side of this is that the firewall has, by
doing this, revealed its presence; the good side is that the
email server will stop waiting at that point and so the user's
email will download promptly instead of waiting for that connection
to time out first.

  This configuration is sufficiently common that I would not take
that "failed" score seriously.

David Gillett