Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port question

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:35:26 +1000

113 is an auth port for ident.

And Steve's site:
http://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm#IDENT

The post is closed, which means that nothing can come through-unless first
initiated by something from inside your network.

Stealthing means that the scan coming from grc doesn't know what is at the
other end. Could be something, could be nothing. In the case of 113, though,
it knows 'something' is there and it's closed. Not sure how much can be
enumerated from that single port, however. Not much, except that a host is
there.

Not much to worry about, to be honest.

Google for stealthing 113 on smoothwall and see what comes up or check their
excellent forums.
http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/