Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Blocking traffic by Country to reduce spam

From: chmod1777 () mydomain com
Date: 23 Jun 2009 13:50:48 -0000

There was a thread about blocking by country about a month or two ago, with some very good info. I tried it on one of
my servers. I'm only blocking China, Russia, Taiwan, and the Koreas. Spam has dropped over 60% on this server. And the
added benefit is that scans and ssh attempts etc, have dropped to a VERY manageable level. In fact, I'm now able to
have the firewall send the alerts to my cell phone, which i was not able to do before, from being overwhelmed with
alerts. I have no business dealings with anyone in those countries, so don't lose any sleep.

As with everything in our field, is the risk worth whatever possible benefit? I guess it depends mostly on what your
type of business is.