Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking traffic by Country to reduce spam

From: Micheal Espinola Jr <michealespinola () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:21:34 -0400

There area few different ways to approach this, each having advantages
and disadvantages:

Block/allow based on IP ranges
Block/allow based on HELO domain name
Block/allow based on sender domain name

You can also do this or supplement the above by using DNSBLs that
categorize based on country of origin.

As an emailer in the US that only communicates directly with US and UK
addresses (via a particular spam filter in question), I find this type
of blocking invaluable as a way of reducing over-all spam for certain
clients.

It not for everyone, and its not fair to everyone. But if you have
specific and clearly defined email needs, it can help tremendously.

--
ME2