Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Regarding Private key

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:33:30 -0430

On Miércoles 17 Junio 2009 05:08:42 manmeet Singh escribió:
Hi all,
I am facing a very tedious probelm. I want to know what the various options
and how secure are these options.

I have a file that contains plaintext.I have to read that file and after
first read , encrypt it(AES) and delete the plain text file and save the
encryped file.On subsequent reboots, i have to read decrypted text.

Now the question is How do i manage the AES key?
Storing the AES key/IV in file is one option? (Isnt It same as storing the
plain key assuming i dont have any secure storage)
Indeed. If the key is stored on the file, anyone could use it to decrypt the
file.

Hard code  the AES
Key/IV values  in the code?
"Reverse engineer" against code could show you the key or a mechanism to
decode it. Its more complex that getting the password from the file, but... is
also not secure.

What other options are possible. ?

You have three options.

1. Introduce the key manually when your program starts... or...  2. use an
external device to store the key. You should protect this external device and
remove it when you are not using it...

But...

There is no answers that could keep your file "automatically encrypted" without
the possibility to be reversed. This is the same problem that faced some
gamming companies on their consoles. You can obfuscate enough your code, pass
antidebuggers, and more. It will only be a wall for non-skilled people. And
its matter of time.

--------------

(3) The third option is: Use a server to store the key. Also, you could use
SSL with preshared certificates to avoid man in the middle attacks and false
connections.

The only problem is that your program could be cracked and the certificate
could be changed. Then MITM attack could be possible and the key could be
stoled, and the file decrypted.

This is only obfuscation.

Warm Regards,
Manmeet Singh

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both
Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most concentrated exam prep
available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means
you pass the exam. Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the
exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html

--
Ing. Aaron G. Mizrachi P.