Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: command line arguments in Wireshark to extract the tcp stream

From: <lists () chase org pk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:48:48 +0500

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 03:21:00PM +0530, unni krishnan wrote:
# any idea ?
#
# On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM, unni krishnan<unnikrishnan.a () gmail com>
 wrote:
# > Hi all,
# >
# > I like to know the command line argument that can be used to extra
ct
# > the tcp stream like SMTP data from tcpdump output file. I can use the
# > GUI version of Wireshark to extract the TCP stream ( Analyze >> Follow
# > TCP stream ), but like to know the Linux command line equivalent for
# > that.

I am not sure how to do this with tshark.

However, if you are not bound to using tshark alone, there
is this nice light weight packet sniffer called ipgrab.

http://www.sf.net/projects/ipgrab/

You can do something like this with ipgrab to capture only the
application layer payload

ipgrab -dpxlnt port 25

# >
# > ---------------------
# > With regards,
# > Unni
# >
# > "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"
# >
#
#
#
# --
# ---------------------
# With regards,
# Unni
#

--
Muhammad Farooq-i-Azam

lists () chase org pk
http://www.chase.org.pk/

                                                \\\//
                                             -(@ @)-
Critic, n.:
        A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries
to please him.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1